Who can get Mobility Allowance?

You may get Mobility Allowance if you:

  • are 16 or over, and
  • have a disability that prevents you from using public transport without substantial help for the next 12 months or longer (there does not need to be public transport in your area for you to qualify), and
  • are undertaking vocational training, voluntary work, paid work, independent living/life skills training, or a combination of these for at least 32 hours every four weeks on a continuing basis, or
  • have an agreement to look for work through the Job Network, or
  • are undertaking jobsearch activities under the Competitive Employment, Training and Placement (CETP) program
    administered by FaCS (CETP Services are also known as Open Employment Services), or
  • are getting Newstart Allowance, Youth Allowance or Austudy and are required to satisfy the Activity Test, and
  • need to travel to and from your home as part of your work, training or job seeking, and
  • are an Australian resident, in Australia and not subject to the two year newly arrived residents waiting period.

Please Note: You can still get this payment (as long as you meet all other qualifications) if you got a GST exemption on a car.
You cannot get this payment if you currently have a motor vehicle provided by the Department of Veteran’s Affairs
under the Vehicle Assistance Scheme.

After a person finishes employment or training, provided they continue to satisfy other conditions, the allowance
is payable for six paydays before cancellation.

Claim Form: You can claim Mobility Allowance using a claim form that can be posted to you or picked up at any Centrelink office. Telephone Centrelink on 13 2717, or visit your nearest Centrelink Customer Service Centre for a claim form.

What information do I need to make a claim?
You will need to provide proof of identity. You will also need to provide proof of employment (including self-employment), training or voluntary work. An advocate or nominee can complete your form if you are unable to do so.

Note: to legally act on behalf of a person receiving a social security payment from Centrelink, people can obtain a ‘nominee’ form at Centrelink Customer Service Centres or by phoning 13 2717.

A medical report to be completed by your doctor will be issued at the same time as the Mobility Allowance claim form and should be returned, preferably with the claim form, to any Centrelink Customer Service Centre. For more information, telephone Centrelink on 13 2717, or visit your nearest Centrelink Customer Service Centre.

More information:- https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/mobility-allowance